Friday 2 October 2009

Wicked


It's been awhile, but here's an update...

I love England. Like the Brits say (sometimes), it's pretty wicked. Wicked gorgeous, wicked expensive, wicked wicked wicked.

Really though, I titled it wicked because the other weekend, in Londontown... we saw the show Wicked. FINALLY!!! I've been wanting to see it for years. And i did. I feel like I'm making major life checkmarks... you know my life "to-do list?" Its getting shorter. Which is pretty wicked cool.

Anywhoo, round two of london was great... it was nice to feel semi in control... I really understand the layout of london and know where to go, what i like. So i'm only partially touristy :) It remains one of my favorite world cities. (Sorry... Venice is still #1)

When we got back from london, a few of us went to Portsmouth... which is obviously a port town, with a really nice harbor (aka baltimore!) Anywhoo... it was a good time... doing the museumy thing, touring some boats... good times. We went back again with the whole group the next weekend to explore the nightlife, and stay at a friend's house.

I've had some more classes... went into a "nursery school" (age 4-5) and observed there... so fun! It was a nice reminder of why I love my major. The class was great... and the teacher was very my style, and gave me a lot of ideas for any future classrooms. Plus, there was a room of 28 4 year olds who did spot on impressions of charlie bit me!

A few of us went to a neighboring seaside called littlehampton for some ice cream after school the other day, and today we went back to chichester to do some shopping, and actually go inside the cathedral (which was built by the normans soon after 1066!)

The most exciting interesting development this past week has been meeting a few people my age from the church we've been attending. On wednesday night there is a young adult group that meets, basically just to talk, and grow, and pray. Its very very small... 3 americans and 1 swede went, and pretty much doubled the size of the group, but it was definitely a good time to just talk and pray. Afterwards we went to southdowns, a local pub to talk some more. Yes, in england, bible studies go to pubs. The thing about england though, is while they are a predominately christian country... apparently they cant walk around town wearing shirts that say "wwjd" or "nonconformist" or "loser" with bible verses on the backs. It is apparently much easier, and more widely accepted to be a homosexual here than it is to be a "practicing christian."

So Ive been thinking a lot about what it means to be a practicing christian. Obviously church attendance isnt necessarily related to your commitment to Christ or your personal relationship or faith. But its funny how the way I live my life, here is viewed (and has been called) "super religious", while at home I sometimes feel like I'm running to keep up with people whose lives are completely on fire for God. I'm in a really exciting place in my walk right now... and its obviously not always wise to compare myself to others, because everyone is different... it is just really eye-opening to see how my role has changed here. I'm viewed as a pretty solid girl at home... but I have my shortcomings and weaknesses in my faith. These all still exist, but here, the overall outsider view of me is as a really good christian girl whose always reading praying and writing. I'm ok with that. It's just weird being more of an example, rather than a part of a large group of people who it is not uncommon to see chilling in coffee shops with a bible.

i have more to say on the topic, obviously, but for now... i wanted to comment on the beauty of skype. i talked to sooo many people last night. which was great... but ive learned that hearing voices from home (and seeing everyones beautiful faces) makes waves of homesickness appear a little bit more rapidly. don't stop skyping me, just be aware... that while i have yet to cry (and am planning on not letting it happen)... y'all make it hard

peace and love,
meg

No comments:

Post a Comment