Friday 16 October 2009

The Great Outdoors

So, the jury is still out on which season is my favorite...

I adore the summer sun, going to the beach, and being tan; I love spring flowers, fresh rain, and the start of men's volleyball season; In the winter I live in cozy sweaters, devour my mom's hot chocolate (whether fair-trade spicy, or williams sonoma with gourmet marshmallows), and could watch the snow fall on Christmas Day for hours. But then there's fall... the crisp wind, multicolored leaves, the ultimate soccer season, hot apple cider, light scarves and hats, and rosy cheeks.

Mmm fall. I don't know that its my favorite season.. but I've been feeling rather keen on fall lately. Last weekend, we took a bus to the city of Bath... about a 2 hour drive away. Now, I don't credit Bath with perfecting the season of fall... but we had the perfect autumn day. We spent the day touring the ancient Roman Baths (the only natural hot springs still bubbling in Britain)... walking through the shops, admiring the royal crescent (buildings designed in a massive horseshoe shape)... and "frolicking" through Victoria Park's gardens.

Oh the frolicking. Let me explain. It was either go tour the Jane Austen Museum (believe me, I wanted to), or enjoy the gorgeousness of the day and take fun pictures of each other, ala America's Next Top Model: Bath. I took pictures :) Kind of out of character for me, enjoying being in the pictures.. but I couldnt help it. I just was loving being outside. We did some tree climbing, leaf throwing, senior portrait reenactments, statue mimicking, and general funness. good. times. All in all, BIG fan of Bath. Beautiful town, lovely people, lots of history = Meghan Approved.

Later this week my autumn lovin continued... we had our first "Environmental Day" for the elementary teaching science class I'm in. We were divided into different groups and went to a forest about 20 minutes away. The science professors had different stations, and we basically participated in a college version of a "forest school." Forest schools were invented in Sweden (I know, I guess it does make sense that I'm going there!) when there wasn't enough classroom space to be had... so students spent the majority of their time outside... doing cross-curricular activities. They were wildly successful, and spread to Wales, and now England.

In our "forest school" at Seeley Copse in Goodwood I learned how to identify Sycamore (which are forest invader trees... so its ok that we used their bark to make necklaces), how to use a handsaw, make popcorn over a fire, whittle, make coal to decorate our sycamore pendants, use clay to make a candle holder, and make hot chocolate with our own mini-fires. I love my major.

My group was so much fun... and (lame as it sounds) I made a lot of new friends, and had a great time being outside, hiking, and enjoying nature. When did I become so into the outdoors? I didn't get it from my mom... and i'm so not into camping as a vacation, but really... I love it.

Additionally, I finally found a gym... and about 2/3 of our group decided to join as well. It's not cheap, but its about as cheap as we can find... and I'm starting to feel a little bit more at home. I still haven't got the hang of the schoolwork here (I simply can't make myself read book after book two months before a project is due... which I know, will be killing me come 2 months from now... but I can't do it). I miss PSU classes where minimal studying is involved... and I feel very in my element. But I guess feeling out of my element is good. It's a growing experience.

More growing to come in a few weeks time... about 10 days from now I leave for Italy with some friends... then we're headed to Paris... and then Spain. My bank account is rapidly diminishing... but such is life.

I'm starting to feel like theres so much more for me to do... like after this year, I'm not going to be done with this travel thing. As much as I LOVE teaching... and know that I'm supposed to do it, and I'm great at it... I've been having this feeling that God has really big plans for me. Which is really exciting. I dont know when or where these big plans come about... but I'm feeling so much less limited lately... as in... even though I dont have a lot, money isn't holding me back. Even though I'm not that naturally brave... I'm learning not to hold myself back. God is bigger than all of the stuff I think is preventing me from being one of those people who has crazy, interesting, fearless stories to tell about their life... one of those people whose story isn't done being written at 22 when they come back from a study abroad and graduate college.

Anyway... that rambling probably doesnt make any sense... but basically... life is good... God is good... I'm loving the cold weather (and loving that it hasn't snowed here yet... unlike at PSU :)) and i'm ready for more. whatever that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment